I think I’ve figured out the key to managing my weight, finding time for fitness and keeping my life in balance is portion control.
Managing the portion sizes on my plate.
Managing the portion of my day that I set aside specifically for my fitness & well being.
Managing the portion of MY life that is specifically ME. Not anyone else’s, not what anyone else thinks it should be, not what anyone else expects it to be.
I’ve been on this 90 day challenge and there’s just about 3 days til the first 30 are done, but I’m finding that many of the folks who started with me have disappeared. Either they’re so engulfed in this challenge that they simply haven’t found the time to let me know how they’re doing or they aren’t doing.
So I decided to chop it down to the doable 10. We can do 10 anything right? So 10 it was.
And 10 we did.
And 10 are done!
So on to the next ‘phase’. I hate calling it a phase cuz every other diet & fitness program has phases and those phases pass, which to me seems like they also have the potential to fail. Anyway, so I won’t call it a phase. Hmmm, guess I’ll call it; a point. The point in the challenge. Ok, that works. Because we can at any “point” say “at this point”…
Ok, so at this “point” in the 90 day challenge we are going to focus on portion control. Because, you do realize October kicks off the season of samples, nibbles, office noshing and seasonal food gatherings right?
So how are we gonna manage the portions?
- The number one way to fight off the urge of devouring what’s in front of you is by training your palette. When you know how to push away the plate, eat just enough and walk away from the candy bowl after just 1 treat, you’ve mastered the “I can’t help it” syndrome!
- Manage your portion & get the right food for you! 30 days, one day at a time. 30 days of controlling YOUR portions. DIETS DON’T WORK! If you’re doing this for YOU, why be concerned with what worked for Suzy Alwaysdiets or Johnny Jumpnsquat. You have your life, you have your body and you have your lifestyle, so eat for YOU! It might sound strange, but most of us aren’t eating enough. We eat, plenty of the wrong food but not nearly enough of the right food. THAT’S THE SOLUTION TO MANAGING WEIGHT!
- -Get a tape measure and get off the scale! That’s all I have to say about that!
- Get a handle on how much you’re eating by getting an APP on your phone or using myfitnesspal.com to log what you’re eating.
- Get a key scripture as your anchor or borrow mine Ephesians 3:16 “that He would strengthen you in your inner man, not with a brute strength but a glorious strength”.
- Get a calendar and schedule your workout even if it’s 10 minute intervals. Schedule it like you schedule your regular hair appointment, or mani/pedi or a Dr. Appointment.
- Get 1 or 2 people to join you in this so that you KNOW you can call on them to support you. I’ll be your #1 support person but maybe you need someone you can touch. Someone that in the event you find yourself in a pit, they can come and grab your hand and pull you out. That pit might be your couch, your cubical at work or your kitchen!
- Get a water bottle. One that you can refill and take with you everywhere. You should be drinking half your weight in ounces in water on a daily basis.
- Get a soundtrack. Pull together 5-10 songs that keep your heart pumpin’ and spirit movin’. Nothin’ that’s gonna make you start slippin’ into a ‘remember when life was simple’ or ‘nobody knows’ mind set. Music has the power to take you where you want to go but don’t know how to get there so chose your music wisely. You can borrow mine if you want, it’s on my website under the runnin’ tab.
- Get a blender. Somethin’ that will chop ice, and frozen fruits. You’re gonna need it. Don’t go spendin’ a fortune though.
10 Minute Workout Solutions
A fun, unique combo of salsa fusion, kickboxing, core strength & body sculpting. This metabolism boosting workout gets your heart pumpin & spirit movin. Each segment is just 10 minutes long and can be done in isolation or together for a total-body 50 minute workout
Happy Fall Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
1⁄2 cup unsweetened canned pumpkin
1⁄2 tsp. cinnamon 1⁄2 tsp. nutmeg 1 cup skim milk
1 scoop of chocolate shakeology