Seriously? It hasn’t even been a full week of Spring yet and temps here (ATL) are telling us it’s gonna be a blazin’ summer. One sure sign of the season’s change is the power walkers & trail runners gearing up for this years warm-weather road races.
It’s certain that warmer weather triggers the desire to open a few windows and get rid of clutter and it tends to break the monotony of any workout simply because we get a surge of energy from brighter skies, the sounds of chirping birds and weight-less bulk-free clothing.
With spring’s bright colorful blooms, sprouts a freshness of freedom to get out of hibernation, get outdoors and try something new like that group fitness class or registering for a 5K or taking on the Dirty Girl Mud Run with me.
WELCOME TO THE SPRING CLEANING CHALLENGE!!!
During the month of April it’s all about gettin’ out the clutter and the junk, doing some weeding and seeding and finding your “moment” to recharge our original goals of living healthy. We’re gonna figure out why we got stuck in the first place, dig our way out and replant a few seeds that can bloom something fruitful.
How’s this gonna work?
Weekly check-in/post: I’ll post your weekly challenge here, you’ll check-in kinda like your weekly weigh-in & encourage the other ladies here! Moral support is a major component of living healthy!
Weekly workout: TO BE POSTED WEEKLY ALONG WITH YOUR CHALLENGE
Weekly meal options: Keep a journal of what you are eating, how often you’re eating, why you’re eating it & how you are feeling when you ate. Either log this digitally on your phone using an APP or notepad on your phone or the old fashioned way in a note book or email me and I’ll send you a copy of the one I use with my clients.
Alrighty then, first things first:
Here’s your SPRING CLEANING CHECKLIST to dust off the cob-webs, refresh your workout & get rid of the junk in your trunk (wherever you’ve been storing it).
SPRING CLEANING CHECK LIST
Þ NO JUNK. Changing your attitude about the why, why-not, how, when, where and what-for’s; regarding exercise, is the beginning of any fitness ‘plan’. FIT-ness is not what you do, it’s who you are. It’s 50% state of mind, 50% state of becoming.
Þ GET 4 CRAZY FRIENDS: Find yourself 4 CRAZY friends. Friends who will, by any means necessary get you to your ultimate goal of living the life you were created to live. If you find yourself in a ditch, they WILL NOT decorate it, but will get down on their knees for YOU, roll up their sleeves and get dirt under their nails to pull you out. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, they will NOT allow you to pull them down with you.
Þ START WALKIN’: walking is the easiest way to start getting healthier. You don’t need any fancy equipment, membership, or even a lot of space or time. You CAN walk in place if need be. Joining a walking group can help you with your first 2 supplies.
Þ GET A PLAY LIST: breaking free from the procrastinator’s mantra “imma – do-it-tomorrow” can be somewhat difficult so I’ve grab ahold of songs like Fergie’s “Imma Be” as one of my power-charged adrenaline driving boosters. My “GET IT” song for this challenge is One Girl by Shuree River. As a headliner on your playlist, this song will have you ready to walk, run, salsa or take over the world, well you get what I’m sayin’, it’s gonna push you right into Spring Break ready confidence. Get your list together or borrow the one I use to get my heart pumpin’ and my spirit movin’.
- My current playlist: anything by Tobymac, Group One Crew, Shuree Rivera, Maroon 5, Chemical Brothers, india.aire, Probly Pablo, Israel Houghton, old school (ehem REAL) hip-hop, Mary Mary, Coko, J.Moss, De La Soul, Kierra “Kiki” Sheard, just to name a few…
Þ GET IN GEAR: It’s running season so most stores carry a wide selection of active wear & shoes in fresh & cheery spring colors. Check the Sunday paper for coupons or check the store websites for additional discounts & sales.
- SHOES: Proper shoes are a MUST. Your feet take you where you need to go, they kinda need to have the right support. You don’t have to spend a fortune, but as the saying goes “it’s in the shoes”. Trott over to a department store and try on a pair that feels comfortable to YOU. When trying on the sneaker it’s best to do it mid-afternoon or evening because you’ve been on your feet most of the day you’ll get a better idea of what the shoe will feel like after you’ve been in them for a while. A few of my favorite brands are: Ryka, New Balance, ASICS, Nike Free.
- Clothing– wear non-cotton, moisture wicking fabrics which are breathable and designed to repel the sweat away from your body. Don’t be afraid to wear nice looking workout clothes. You might as well look good on your way to feeling good. And buying a new workout outfit is a great reward incentive when you reach your goals.
- Hair taming –
- GoodyTM ouch-less head bands & pony tails
- Sparkly Soul head bands
- Suave ® captivating curls whipped cream mouse for my ‘natural sistahs’ tames the frizzies, keeps your hair soft & touchable without feeling product gunkiness
- Shea Moisture curling soufle
Last but certainly not least, in fact it’s probably the most important thing to remember. You truly are what you eat. Your body is like a car, in order to drive to your destination you need to have enough gas to go the distance. Just as well, the amount of food you eat depends on YOU. A small compact car doesn’t need the same amount of gas as a pick up truck now does it. Make sure that you’re eating the right amount and right kind of food for YOUR body & YOUR life.
VERY BIG PORTIONS MAKE VERY LITTLE SENSE.
Not sure what to eat? There are several APPs available to help you manage your weight, save recipes and even send you reminders that it’s time for a snack! Talk about a smart phone!
This handy checklist is just enough to get you on your way to enjoying this beautiful weather, dusting off those resolutions and living on purpose.
Dedicated to keepin’ your heart pumpin & your spirit movin’
“Do not attempt a thing unless you are sure of yourself; but do not relinquish it simply because someone else is not sure of you” (Isaiah 30:15)
–God’s Little Devotion Book on Success
Try this energy boosting smoothie recipe:
SPRING CLEANING-GOIN’ GREEN
- 1 green apple – peeled & cut into chunks
- 1 ripe banana – peeled and sliced
- 1 cup of cranberry juice (100% juice not cocktail)
- 1 handful of raw baby spinach or kale
- 1/3 cup of uncooked oatmeal (if no food allergy)
- 1 scoop/packet of Greenberry Shakeology
- 1 cup of ice
Throw all ingredients into a blender until ice and fruit are chopped & liquefied. Pour into an 8oz glass, enjoy!
This refreshing drink has all the nutrients you need for breakfast or snack and is intended to clean your body of toxins. For best results enjoy this smoothie for what it is – no need to have it WITH a meal, it IS a meal. In fact, this recipe is enough for 2 servings. Enjoy 1 for breakfast, save the other for a snack or the next day!