Sweet Tater Black Bean Burgers [yields 8 burgers – vegan, gf]
- 15oz black beans, drained + rinsed
- 3c cubed sweet tater, cooked + skin on [~1.5lbs]
- 1/2c frozen or fresh corn
- 2/3c finely chopped onion [1/2 medium onion]
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2c cooked quinoa
- 6T rolled oats, partially ground
- 2T sunflower seeds
- 1/2t salt
- black pepper
- 1t cumin
- 1t oregano
- 1/4t coriander
- 1t chili powder
- 1/4t cayenne [optional]
- 1T olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 375* once you finish cooking the quinoa + potato.
- Mash half of the beans in a bowl until paste-like.
- Add in the rest of the beans and give a very light stir/mash to combine.
- In a large bowl, mash the sweet tater. Each cube should be mashed, but you don’t want it creamy.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, oregano, coriander, chili powder, cayenne [if using] and olive oil, until combined.
- Mix in the onion, garlic, corn, black beans, quinoa, sunflower seeds, and ground oats, until just combined.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Form into balls, between your hands and flatten into 1/2”-3/4” thick patties. This should make 8 medium/large patties.
- Place on a pan lined with parchment paper [or lightly greased pan] and bake on each side for 15min, flipping once, half-way through.
- Remove from oven + serve!
*If you want to refrigerate or freeze them, let fully cool on a cooling rack. Place in a sealed container for the fridge, or wrap in saran, then foil, then in a bag for the freezer. If reheating a frozen burger, let it thaw completely. Re-heat in a greased pan, over medium heat for ~3-5min per side, until hot throughout.
*To make the ground oats – Pulse your blender on + off, until you have the consistency about half way to flour.
*Instead of ground oats, feel free to sub – millet flour, oat flour, quinoa flour, whole wheat flour, etc.
*To pan cook – Heat a pan to medium and lightly grease. Cook on each side for 5-8min, flip + cook another 5-8min until golden brown.
*For the grill – Bake burgers for 15min on one side, flip burgers once and bake another 10min. While baking, preheat your grill slightly above medium [~350-375*] Grease the grates and cook burgers for ~3min per side.